Monday, August 1, 2011

A Pirate's Life for Me

This past weekend I went back to Bristol to be a part of the Cutlass Cooking kids show. They were down a Bob, and I offered my services. It was certainly a change from what I have been used to (Queen's court and military), but I great time.

The weather was okay, but not great - high 80s with humidity - but at least it was dry. The crowd on Saturday was fairly large (due to weather, attendance has been very poor the first third of the season) and Sunday was okay. And from what I could tell, they were willing to play along, too.

The first show we did was the Pantry Panic cooking show. On both days, it was a three-person show. Sarah (sister Bob) helped on Saturday and Andy (the original Bob) was there on Sunday. This is the original Cutlass Cooking show, and it's a big hit with the kids. Honestly, I felt Saturday was a little better because Sarah and I have better chemistry/familiarty and were able to play off each other more. It ended up being two mischevious siblings trying to get big brother John to eat some crazy stew.

The second show of the day is Tenderized Tales aka crazy story time. Saturday went well with good kids and crowds, but Sunday was a bit chaotic. The kids weren't bad, they just wanted to be extremely helpful or really wanted to be a part of the show. Each story being requires two helpers, but on Sunday, we had three for both of them. It was interesting to say the least, and unrestrained chaos to say the most.

The last show of the day is the Party Panic show, which is always a bit difficult because: a) hard to get an audience and b) the sun is melting the stage at that point in the day. Saturday we actually had a good crowd who really enjoyed the show. Sunday, we had two boys probably 12-13 who we think were just too polite to walk out in the middle of it.

I also got to do some shanty singing with Bob, Ansel, Tabitha and a couple others. I'm not a great singer, but I thought we did pretty good out there...but don't be looking for our CD any time soon.

All in all it was an outstanding weekend. I am very grateful to have had the opportunity to help out a good friend, entertain some children, and enjoy myself. I was a little suprised how much performing took out of me during the day, but it was worth every drop of sweat and ache and pain I have today.

Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment