Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year's Resurrections

I'm not one for New Year's resolutions, because they are mostly either the same self-help stuff (lose weight, exercise more, stop smoking, etc.) or unrealistic hopes (win the lottery, become an astronaut, etc.).  While the start of new year does seem to be a logical point to try to better oneself or start grasping for a dream, I don't really see the point in getting on a pedestal and announcing to the world (or at least my Facebook/Twitter/Google+ friends) what I'm working on in 2012.  Those things are for me to know and try to achieve on my own.

That being said, one of my resolutions will be mentioned here: try to get back to being more social, both online and in person.  For various reasons, last year was not a great one for me, even if I did get a chance to do some amazing things.  There were a few things that happened that left me to pull back from others and retreat into myself.  In 2012, I need to work on reversing that and getting back out there and keeping up with and doing things with friends.

As such, I will finally be getting around to posting about the GRAIL Tweetup event I attended in September, which I never got around to because work completely blew up and distracted me (technically, it blew up while I was at the Tweetup, so I had lots of cleanup to do when I got back).  The memories have probably dulled a bit, so the stories and recollections won't be as good as they could have been, but I still think it's important for me to record them.

I'm also kicking around the idea of actually using the webcam I got for more than the occasional Google+ hangout and adding some video to this blog.  Maybe I can end up being the Andy Rooney of the 21st century (God knows I'm cranky enough for that role).

We'll see how this holds out over the course of the year, because like most Americans, I get distracted and discouraged very easily.  I suppose all I can do is try.  And put effort into it.  And sustain it.  And not get lazy.  So on that note, I leave you with a very important quote:

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.  Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

No comments:

Post a Comment